Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankfulness.

Its that holiday again. You know, the one that's wedged inconveniently between the end of hunting season and Halloween and Black Friday. Some merchants have decided to start the annual Christmas gift shopping season a little early this year and encroach upon our day of Thanksgiving. I've even heard more Christmas carols and so forth on the radio- I hope they realize that for every Christmas song played before Thanksgiving an elf drowns a baby reindeer….

All that aside- I do observe Thanksgiving. A long and laboriously prepared meal of the year's bounty, some good friends, and a lot of reflection upon the blessings we've received. A time of camaraderie and fellowship and…. thankfulness.

I do realize I have much to be thankful for. In no particular order on the outdoors front-

A safe hunting season that was injury free.

A wonderful harvest of nature's bounty- caribou, salmon, halibut, ptarmigan and grouse. My freezer runneth over- my family's meat for a year or more.

The opportunity to assist two new hunters with their first centerfire rifles and their first big game animals.

My son's first Sharp Tailed grouse.

The opportunity to teach at Becoming an Outdoors Woman to an enthusiastic group of ladies.

The camaraderie and companionship of a collection of fine outdoorsmen and women- their friendship in wild places is truly one of the things I cherish in this life.

A wonderful spouse and son who often accompany me…and aren't afraid when the work gets hard and things get messy.

And you- my readers and friends- who share this voyage through life in the wild with me and my friends and share your voyages in return.

Thank you,
Hodgeman


1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Hodge

Happy thanks giving to you too. Another year where I have enjoyed our conversations and reading about your exploits and kit reviews

Keep well
SBW